Monday, August 07, 2006

Current book not a real recommendation


The current book I am reading, She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb is a bit disappointing. It is supposed to be humorous, but all I am encountering is depression. So far, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are looking for a good read, check out my favorite author choices on the side bar. There are some dandies there.

UPDATE 8-14-06: Okay, I read it, finished it, and it did get worse and then it got better. I feel like I know this woman, this Dolores Price. I also feel like she made so many stupid mistakes. But she was also victimized a lot as a child and young woman. She really suffered. So, yes, I think this was a worthwhile book, but it was not "funny", "hilarious" or other words that was used to describe it. It was sad. Heartwarming in spots, and very educational. You could learn a lot from Dolores. You can learn not to make the mistakes she did. I still would warn sensitive friends that it contains definite (in movie language) rated R material, including a same-sex scene. I kept worrying that one of my kids might pick it up out of curiosity and start reading...YIKES! Not a "feel good" book.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I didn't like it either. He wrote a really great book, too. I think it was called "I Know This Much is True." Not for the kids, but a lot better than this one.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Mom2the6Rs said...

I have this book, too, sitting on the shelf, waiting to be read. I honestly have been reluctant to pick it up after reading this one. I need a breather from the depressing life scenes.

Jules

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home