Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Secret Life of Bees


Oh my, oh my! What a wonderful, amazing story this was! I am still lingering in it, feeling like the characters are so real, they should all have social security numbers! I feel like if I move on to another book too soon, I will be betraying this one in some way. This book has become my favorite read of the summer. Well, that is hard to completely surrender to, considering all I have read. I really enjoyed the Sci-Fi books by Mary Doria Russell, and the Alexander McCall Smith series. It is just a beautiful book, though. It reminded me of how I felt after I had read To Kill a Mockingbird. I am anxious to find a used copy of The Mermaid Chair, her next book. Thank you, Sue Monk Kidd. Thank you so very much!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Jules,

It's scary how alike our reading tastes are. I loved this book, as well as the one you have coming up (Isabelle Allende).

One book I really recommend - I think you would really like it - is "Gilead." I can't remember who it's by off the top of my head but that made me feel even better at the end of it that The Secret Life of Bees (which I'm re-reading again now in Spanish so I guess it would be La Vida Secreta de las Abejas!)

Keep those pages turning!

Lisa

1:25 PM  
Blogger Mom2the6Rs said...

In Spanish! WhoHoo! Good for you! I will google the other book.

Jules

4:24 PM  
Blogger Chickadeeva said...

Wouldn't it be cool if after you read a book, you popped it in a mailer and sent it to a friend? When they were done, they'd send it on and so on? I can't manage to pick up books for myself at the store...and once I read them, they fill up the corners of my house...I can't ever seem to get myself to the library, so do I need a NETFLIX version of the Library?

Do you have ways you recycle your books?

5:23 PM  
Blogger Mom2the6Rs said...

Yes, I am always lending my books out or dropping them back off at the thrift store (where I buy most of them). I usually am loading my reading friends (Kristina, Mandi, Tina, Heather) up with books when they visit. You have given me some great titles, like the Alchemist. I loved that. I gave it to my Mom and she thought it was okay. I actually have a book hanging out on my shelf waiting for you. I like the netflix idea.

Jules

5:27 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

I read the first 70 pages or so today. What a treat. I am totally getting what you mean about becoming attached to the charactors, and I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it. Thanks for the loan girlfriend!

Kristina

7:27 PM  
Blogger Mom2the6Rs said...

Good to hear it Kristina!

Enjoy!

Jules

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home