Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Rowling


Finished it this week with Reuben. Amazing. I sure wish my Christian friends could "get over" the magic stuff and see the amazing story written here. It is not about magic, that is just the vehicle or setting of the story. It is about relationships, laying your life down for those you love, choosing the hard road, doing the right thing even when it is painful, trust, discipline, faith, failing and then getting up again and becoming a better person, in a word, redemption. This book is about finding out your purpose and then fulfilling it, even when you don't have all the answers and allowing others to walk along side of you because none of us can do this thing called "life" alone. So many of the characters who had chosen a bad path saw the truth and turned back to the side of goodness. I loved how she wove this forgiveness and acceptance of those who came "home" to the truth. I loved how imperfect everyone was. No one was a superhero, they all fought together for freedom and justice and they won!

Some have said to me that they do not want to introduce magic to their children. If you have allowed Narnia or Lord of the Rings or even the Wizard of Oz into your children's lives, then please drop the "magic" protest and see what inspiration could be waiting for you and your children in these books. You won't regret it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

I totally agree with you. I have not read any of the books, but I do love the movies. I would like to start reading them though, and you just made me really want to.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Kris, the books are incredible. They are imaginative and intricately woven. That they're well-written and pretty funny in place is a total bonus.

(I loved the books, can take or leave the movies).

Jules, I agree with you. I started reading Harry Potter while attending the world's largest Baptist university (?!) and had two very conservative roommates. One was an elementary ed major who got me reading the books, the other dismissed them out of hand as promoting satanism. I thought that was ridiculous, especially in light of all of the lessons in the book that, while not specific to Christianity, are naturally part of the Christian ideal.

I've loved this series of books, and while I was a little sorry to see it end, I think it turned out just as it should have.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Mom2the6Rs said...

Kris, the books are where its at. The movie only scratch the surface.

Jules

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home