Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd


The Mermaid Chair, by Sue Monk Kidd was a fair read. The subject matter (infidelity) was not the best, and this book is not anywhere near the endearing story that her first novel, The Secret Life of Bees. The best part of the book is the character developement and the setting. I love the island setting and the nature and the way that the characters interact with one another. I would have loved to have her daughter more involved in the story. I also loved the way her art was used in the story to help her come to grips with what was going on in her life. I think it focused too much on what makes me feel good or "alive" is what I need and is worth leaving behind all that I have promised and committed myself to. It showcases the selfishness within us. So...I wouldn't recommend this book, really. There are many more worthy reads out there. My 2 cents. Glad I have a few readers....didn't mean to whine.

Jules

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home